I am Jack's Complacent Heart


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



This week at church we had a guest (Bob) who is a pastor at a new church plant for those recovering from alcohol and substances. Naturally, this lead to a whole stream of thoughts:
  • What a really cool idea for a church...
  • Isn't this what every church should be about?
  • Is it unfortunate that they should be in a different church to begin with?
  • Aren't we all in the process of recovering from one substance or another?
Now, of course, I can see the practical benefits of bringing those with similar struggles together, for encouragement and accountability. But, I can't help but think that those of us without alcohol or drug addiction history don't realize this type of thing as a reality for our own church life. Don't get me wrong, I hear people say they are big sinners all the time. But, it is rare to hear someone say, "I covet", "I lust", "I worship myself and my career" or "I don't forgive people unless they warrant it". I am Jack's selfrighteous passive aggression.

What a great benefit it must be to be able to enter into an AA church community where "I am an alcoholic" is the first part of the confession.

Labels:


1 Responses to “I am Jack's Complacent Heart”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hello... you are totally right on about this. I was thinking some similar thoughts, just not quite so-thoughtfully penned. We're all addicts. Some of us are just socially-acceptable addicts, of which I am one. And the recognition of my own addiction should drive me to empathy, not contempt...

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives


Churches


Random Links

Unfamous Musicians That I Know


Demifamous Musicians that I Know


ATOM 0.3