What is this? (a rant)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



From About.com: Billie Holiday, like Norah Jones, was able to convey a wide range of emotion with a relatively simple vocal style.

Is this English? I see type, but no comprendo. When did Norah Jones become the standard for jazz singers? Either John doesn't know the first thing about jazz or he didn't learn how to construct sentences.

That's like saying: Pablo Picasso, like Sherwin Williams, are great painters or Martin Luther, like Joel Osteen, are great a teaching the bible.

John, the sentence should read: If you like Norah Jones for her simplicity, check out Billie Holiday. Billie has the simplicity of Norah, but with actuall jazz phrasing and artistic storytelling ability. Billie = Norah - water + art.

Coming soon, my top 5 jazz vocal records.

Labels: ,


1 Responses to “What is this? (a rant)”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    It pains me to think that people actually think Norah Jones is the penultimate jazz singer! I mean, ok, I enjoy listening to her from time to time - she was in my high school choir - but she doesn't have an ounce of the talent of Billy Holiday or Sarah Vaughn! I used to have a friend that RAVED over Vanessa Mae and her "pop" recordings of the Bach unaccompanied violin sonatas and partitas. Bleh! Go listen to Joseph Szigeti or Jascha Heifetz!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives


Churches


Random Links

Unfamous Musicians That I Know


Demifamous Musicians that I Know


ATOM 0.3