Reality Check: Prince is a sucky guitarist!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Ok, I admit that is unfairly overstating the matter, but I have noticed that offensive, exaggerated titles often cause people to look at your blog and the following definitely needs to be seen. What it boils down to is this: A black dude with a flat-top and shoulder pads begets a certain artistic expectation that Prince simply doesn't have the ability to fill!

Lesson 1: Stairway to Heaven (Stanley Jordan, Charnett Moffett, Omar Hakim)



That's better. That got the disappointment of Prince out of my mind. I'm thinking the average metal head is pretty impressed with the gimmicks SJ uses to play "outside" of the 3 chords present in Stairway. But really, in slo-mo he's just using whole/halftone patterns to get around (musically). (It takes one to know one... these are some of my favorite "gimmicks") His tapping actually demonstrates how simple it is to construct such patterns on guitar. Hence the ease he "works them up to speed". That being said, SJ is a master technician and can entertain with sheer technique alone, but there isn't the mountain of artistry to devour in his work like there is with others.

Lesson 2: Stella - George Benson, McCoy Tyner



Let me guess, you have heard of George Benson, but you had no idea he could play like that? He's a master. His articulation and artistry are miles ahead of Stanley's.

Lesson 3: Sunny - Pat Martino, John Scofield and Joey DeFrancesco



Joey kills me when he kicks in the "Leslie". I love this tune because the moving bass changes make it so freakin' funky. BTW, the bass is played entirely by Joey on B3... hehe. Pat and Sco are marvelously inventive, technically clean and super funky.

All of the above can be found on youtube.com and they represent the tip of the iceberg of great performances found there.

Labels: ,


0 Responses to “Reality Check: Prince is a sucky guitarist!”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives


Churches


Random Links

Unfamous Musicians That I Know


Demifamous Musicians that I Know


ATOM 0.3